Monday, July 16, 2007

That marvelous internet...

Despite what Pete R. says, the internet is good. And especially when it comes to travel. My new favorite sites (although this will be the first time I'll get an extensive, real-world chance to test both) are tripadvisor.com and viamichelin.com. The former permits you to search for hotels using ratings (and lots of commentary and photos) by real people who have actually stayed in the hotel. As with all things internet, take everything with a grain of salt...but you get lots of useful, and often colorful, information (e.g., "Don't stay in Room 332. It smells bad."). The Michelin site gives you detailed (and I mean detailed) driving directions throughout the world. In addition to mileage and driving time, they give you the toll amounts to expect and nanny you with such comments as, "You've been driving for 2 hours. Take a break." (Yes, Renee, I'll give you credit for finding this site.) And it's all free! Got it, Pete?

1 comment:

Kelly Hudgins said...

Oh, Pete Pete Pete...

I'm afraid I have to side with Freebird on this one.

I never go anywhere new without checking trip advisor, and could not have planned my last UK trip without activehotels.com. It's far better than other discounted travel searching sites like travelnow or travelocity because you do not pay at the time of booking and online cancellation is a cinch.

Kelly