Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An abrupt ending...

We left Nafplios this morning by bus, having had to forego a visit to the castle hanging above town since none of the taxi drivers would take us last night. Our language skills failed us, and the drivers were apparently in no mood to drive anyone anywhere, opting instead to loaf on their wide asses and chat the evening out with their compatriots.

Arrived in Athens this morning, found our wonderful (cheap) Economy Hotel, at which time Leslie retrieved his bag and, for the FIRST TIME apparently, read his airplane ticket and determined that he did not depart Athens on Thursday as we believed (and as we had planned)...but tomorrow...i.e., Wednesday, a day earlier. That meant our trip to Delphi tomorrow is off, and I'm stuck in Athens one more night (hotel costs included!) without cause (as I recall, we specifically agreed on the dates of departure and chose to stay as long as we could...). His Idiocy says that he relied on "the lady at UH," and, he guesses, he "just never read the ticket." If I had not already seen Delphi once, I'd be really mad. Now I am, once again, disappointed and gritting my teeth. There is Marenchin precedent for this kind of thing, and I should have been prepared (i.e., I should have read his airplane ticket). But you tend to trust a 53 year old man when he tells you he's made the arrangements. As they say in the motherland, Oy fucking vay.

Anyway, we had final drinks at the ouzo bar, and dinner at the best Greek restaurant in town (lamb chops again). To make things better, once jackass leaves town, I'm headed to the spa at the Grand Bretagne Hotel for a full body massage (they're going to freak when they see my gnarly feet).

And so it ends.

No comments: